Skip to main content
Solved

Can Typeform Button Clicks create Custom Properties in Klaviyo Profiles?

• 30 May 2024
  • 4 replies

I haven’t found a good article on this.

I have a feedback loop email where I embed the first Typeform stage (question and answers) within the email. The answers are individual buttons. I’d like to create a custom property in a Klaviyo profile and populate that custom profile with the answer they chose.

Is this use case possible?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +25

Hi @Andrew.Walters - glad to see you back in the community!

The short answer is YES! Typeform is one of my personal favorite quiz tools to use for this very reason. This specific section of the Klaviyo help doc on their integration with Typeform will help you understand how specific questions and answer choices can be created from the beginning in ways that make the data points most compatible with custom properties in Klaviyo, and some of the default properties that Klaviyo has in every account. https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000107112#h_01HE0YD60D7PS8BCGY3M0REAJC

Happy to answer follow-up questions!

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Adding to @ebusiness pros great points:

When embedding Typeform questions in your Klaviyo emails, the key is to ensure your forms include an email field so responses can be tied back to the correct Klaviyo profiles. This is crucial for syncing data properly.

When a user submits a response, Klaviyo can automatically update or create custom properties based on their answers. Here's how you can do it:

1. Ensure Email Field in Typeform: Make sure your Typeform includes an email field. This helps Klaviyo link the responses to the right profile.
  2. Embed Typeform in Klaviyo: Follow the integration steps to embed your Typeform in your Klaviyo email. This setup allows the responses to be captured and synced back to Klaviyo.
  3. Custom Properties: The responses from Typeform will be recorded as custom properties in Klaviyo. Each question in your Typeform can become a custom property, with the answer as the value.

For a step-by-step guide, check out the Klaviyo help documentation on integrating Typeform and custom properties​ here and here.​​

This should help you streamline the process and ensure your data is synced accurately.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@eCom2Win_Agency , the problem with that solutions is it requires the User to complete every step of the Typeform and give their email address.

The User will find it annoying they have to type in their email address, because 1) we should know it, and 2) the User won’t find it valuable to spend time doing it.

The ideal experience is to create or update a custom property when someone clicks a button within the email. Does that make sense? Is this possible?

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hey @Andrew.Walters 

That makes sense. I totally understand the need to avoid asking users to re-enter their email addresses in Typeform. It can definitely be a bit of a hassle for them. I believe there is a smoother way to handle this issue:

If you want to create or update custom properties when someone clicks a button within the email without asking for their email again, the best way would be to use URL parameters:

1. You can use unique URLs with query parameters for each button in your email. For example, a button for "Product A" might link to https://yourwebsite.com?product_interest=ProductA.
  2. Add these URLs to your Klaviyo emails. When users click a button, Klaviyo can track this action.
  3. Use Klaviyo’s API to update custom properties based on these clicks. A small script on your site can capture the parameters and update the user's profile.

This approach would minimize the friction for the user and ensure a smoother experience.

These articles might give more insight and expand on the solution above:
1. Understanding custom profile properties
2. Update custom properties using typeform
3. Update custom property via a question

I hope this helps!