Skip to main content
Solved

Managing the intermingling between various triggers, segments, lists, and flows.

• 22 May 2024
  • 1 reply

Recently, I merged an old list to my Main List, forgetting that the trigger for my welcome flow is "added to Main List". This ended up sending a welcome flow to people who had already been receiving emails for months and I lost a few subscribers that way. 

I could change the trigger, but regardless this seems like the type of error that could happen again somewhere else. How do other Klaviyo users keep track of the various triggers, automation, and segments/lists to ensure nothing clashes unexpectedly or causes surprises like the one described above? What recommendations do you have or what solutions have you seen? I was thinking of creating some kind of map for myself to keep over my desk but I’m not sure if that’s working harder and not smarter. 

My company is pretty small and what I’ve built out on Klaviyo is likely very little compared to larger more established companies so I can’t imagine how much there is to keep track of once there are over a dozen flows and segments made.

Thank you for your feedback. 

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Hi @mayavalentin! Oof! I totally understand how frustrating that is, but I promise you that’s a mistake you only make once. You can absolutely write down your flow triggers if you think that will be helpful, but generally speaking you should be okay not to.

Especially if your business is small, you should only have one master list unless there is a really strategic reason to have separate lists. This will mitigate accidentally triggering list flows like your Welcome series. it’s also important to note contacts can only receive a list-triggered flow once. If someone is removed from a list and then re-added to that same list, they will not re-trigger the flow. For example, if someone unsubscribes from your master list and then re-subscribes, they will not receive the welcome series again.

If you’re ever in a situation where you want to upload new contacts to the master list and NOT trigger a list flow, you can set your flow to draft mode, upload your contacts, and then set the flow live again. The flow won’t be triggered while it’s in draft mode. 

Klaviyo also provides an important stopgap to prevent overwhelming your contacts with messages unintentionally. It’s called Smart Sending which allows you to limit the number of emails, SMS messages, or push notifications someone can receive within a set period of time. 

By default, the email Smart Sending window is 16 hours but you can change this to whatever works for you.

1. Navigate to your organization name in the bottom left corner of your screen.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Select Email > Sending preferences.
  4. Update the number of hours under Smart Sending Period.
    Smart Sending timeframe in the email sending preferences page
  5. Check the box to Ignore transactional messages if you send transactional emails.
    • In almost all cases, Smart Sending should remain disabled for transactional emails, as these are messages that customers anticipate receiving and search for in their inboxes.

I hope that helps! :)