Solved

Gmail Spam Complaints + How To Suppress Them

• 14 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I know we can't see spam complaints from Gmail + so they're not suppressed - how can we determine which Gmail users have marked us as spam so we can suppress them manually? Is there anyone who’s been able to successfully do that, outside of just monitoring the Spam Rate separately through Google Postmaster?

icon

Best answer by Bobby 14 March 2024, 20:58

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +17

Hi @molly_fatearth,

Welcome to the community - thanks for writing in with this topic!

As you stated, Gmail does not send a report to Klaviyo (or any ESP) of users that marked an email as spam. So, Klaviyo will never know if a Gmail user marked the email as spam.

Postmaster Tools by Gmail will share with you an aggregate, but not individual, report. That’s why it’s critically important to send to engaged segments and sunset email subscribers when appropriate.

(The above is what was posted by a Klaviyo deliverability expert months back in a separate community, for reference).

Cheers,
Bobby

Badge +1

Thanks @Bobby, but that’s not really what I was asking, since I already know Klaviyo doesn’t have this info! I’m asking if there’s any way we can find out who *has* marked us as Spam from Gmail.

Again, I know Klaviyo doesn’t receive this information in a feedback loop, but is there any other way to get my hands on this information so I *can* suppress them? Ie., through Google Postmaster itself, or any other method? If anyone has found any way to do that, please do let me know! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +17

@molly_fatearth apologies for not being clear in my initial response. To clarify, to my knowledge, there is no way to find out which Gmail users have marked your emails as spam.

Which is why sending to engaged segments and sunsetting disengaged email subscribers when appropriate are often the best approaches we can take to mitigate sending to those Gmail recipients that have previously marked an email as spam.

Would be curious to hear from others in the community though if what I shared above sounds accurate. Or, if anyone knows of a way to have visibility into the individual Gmail recipients who have marked an email as spam, please reply!

Cheers,
Bobby

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi @Bobby 

As far as I am aware, your responses are spot on! There is no way to know for Gmail users, and your recommendations of engaged segments/sunset/postmaster are the only way to mitigate the risk of spam complaints from a Gmail audience. 

Regards

Andy