Solved

Klaviyo open rate low compared to previous ESP

• 10 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

We recently migrated to Klaviyo as our Email Service Platform, and I've encountered a puzzling issue with our open rates. Despite replicating our mail campaigns from the previous platform, we're experiencing a significant drop in open rates within Klaviyo. Even campaigns with identical content and audience show remarkable differences.

To provide some context, we're in the process of establishing a new Klaviyo account and are gradually building our sending reputation. We've been starting with small-sized audiences and increasing the audience size with each campaign. Despite these efforts, the variance in open rates remains a concern.

I'm reaching out to this community seeking insights and advice. Are there specific strategies or settings within Klaviyo that I might be overlooking? Has anyone else faced a similar issue during the initial stages of transitioning to Klaviyo? 

Thank you in advance for your help.

icon

Best answer by inboxingmaestro 11 October 2023, 11:43

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hi @Brentvs 

Thank you for your question.

Just to set the expectations right - Its common to see such performance fluctuations while you’re in a process of establishing reputation. You may expect such performance drops or blocks during the warmup as mailbox providers would factor in lot of historic data points, your sending practices, etc. before trusting your Mail stream but eventually it’ll happen over a period of time.

With limited understanding about your email programs and business, I can only recommend you to stick to the email best practices, focus on engaged audience and continue sending good emails to your audience for maintaining high engagement.

However, to better understand the situation, can you help provide some more context -

1. What’s the difference size in open rates currently vs. previously?
  2. Are Apple MPP opens included in the targeting and reporting OR its separate
  3. Have you migrated the blacklisted data from previous ESP and suppress in Klaviyo?
  4. Whats your audience definition currently you’re using during the warmup process?
  5. Whats your reputation health on GPT?
  6. How your other metrics like CTR, bounce rates, spam complaints, unsubscribe?

Regards,

Mohsin

Badge

Hi @inboxingmaestro,

Thanks for your reply!

1. The difference in open rates is between 10-15%, so pretty much (last e-mail 22,9% compared to 37,7%).
  2. Apple is included in the reports. I’m not sure if the MPP opens are in this amount.
  3. Yes, all of the unsubscribers/blacklisted data is suppressed within Klaviyo
  4. We are mailing the audiences which has given permission within the previous ESP. We do this in steps (1k > 2k > 4k > 8k > 12k > 20k > etc.)
  5. I’m not sure, I have to check this with my client.
  6. CTR is pretty the same (sometimes even higher), unsubscribes is way higher (1% compared to 0,1%), bounce rate is pretty high in Klaviyo right now (5,83%)
Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @Brentvs 

To add to some of the questions @inboxingmaestro outline, I think the biggest area to focus on is #4, what is your audience definition and focusing on your most engaged audiences. 

While, you’ve steadily increased your sending segment and maintained a good threshold to not increase too large too fast. But the biggest question in my mind given the low open rates, is who are those users? When starting a warm up, you want to target your most active subscribers, ie. Who have opened in the last 30-days or sooner depending on your total list size. If you’ve simply created smaller segments, but not incorporated engagement when making these segments, its possible you 1K, 2K, 3K segments are made largely of subscribers that are less active or inactive as those tend to account for larger percentages of your list. 

For example, I tend to see, on average, brand’s active subscriber segments (depending on the criteria for how they define “Active”), account for 30-40% of your subscribers, whereas less or inactive subscribers account for the majority. 

You should also look at your bounces and unsubscribes for each send, in addition to open rates. If you are seeing bounce rates above 2%, you’ll want to dig into the deliverability portion of your campaigns to see how your top domains are performing. For example, if Gmail accounts for over 50% of your subscriber base and its showing the lowest engagement, you’ll want to adjust your segments to focus primarily on your most engaged users for Gmail domains.

As a next step, I would look at your domain level reporting in the deliverability dashboard of your campaign analytics, and assess how each of your top domains are performing. From there, you’ll likely need to adjust your segments to only target users who have opened in the last 15-30 days and ONLY send to those users from Klaviyo, until you can get your avg. open rates up beyond 30% for your top domains. Only when you are consistently exceeding 30%, can you start to widen your segments to include users who have opened 45-60 days ago, etc.

I hope that helps! 

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Thanks, @Brentvs 

Are the hard bounces high or soft bounces? Do you have bounce logs available that you can share? Will review and share my feedback further.

To your point #4, plan seems to me quite aggressive and should be slow down in the initial 2 weeks. Since, when the warmup is going on? Also, what audience are you targeting in this phase? Do you have the audience definition handy that you can share as well?

Regards

Mohsin

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @Brentvs!

I’m glad you brought this question to the community, so you can get helpful feedback from @inboxingmaestro and @In the Inbox.

To add one more thing to the list, that’s a quick check: Have you verified your sending domain in Klaviyo yet?

This is an important first step when migrating to any new ESP, and it’s an important factor establishing good deliverability for your brand’s emails. Here’s the Klaviyo help doc on how to set this up. Basically, you’re verifying that you own the domain name used to send your emails with, by generating DNS records for Klaviyo.  

You might also consider using this Postmaster tool from Google. It monitors your IP and domain reputation, along with any egregious spam complaints, across all email inboxes hosted by Google. This includes Gmail and GSuite addresses/ emails from any company that uses existing Google infrastructure to host their email addresses. Roughly 80% of all emails are actually tied back to Google under the hood, so this will help you get a useful pulse check on the overall health of your sender reputation. 

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Klaviyo Champion & Marketing Lead at ebusiness pros