Skip to main content
Solved

How to create a flow that can be manually triggered to a segment

• 26 July 2024
  • 6 replies

I want to send a reminder to customers that ordered custom printed products a year ago to see if they want more. I have set up a Standard WinBack flow with 3 emails, I was planning to upload the list of customers who purchased printing garments > 12 months ago to send the flow to.

• placed order at least once overall (these are customers) - They have placed the order offline as customised goods aren’t automated through Shopify. Hence manually uploading the list
  • placed order zero times in the last 365 days
  • person is not suppressed for email

The challenges I am having are:-

1. In the flow I have setup, the trigger seems fixed on MUST having received an online order from Shopify.
  2. I only want the flow to go out to customers who purchased customised goods offline, I don’t want it to go to all customers that have placed an order more than a year ago.
  3. I don’t want new online orders to be added into this flow.
  4. I would like to initiate the flow occuring to the segment/list of my choosing
  5. Does Klaviyo offer a list cleaning service (Hard bounce removal) similar to Omnisend, as these customers are over a year old and were offline, I would like to double check there addresses are still correct, before I try and email out to them?

6 replies

Badge +6

Hello tmz ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Klaviyo community with your questions. Let's address each of your challenges:

1. Flow Trigger Based on Online Orders: Since Klaviyo's standard flow triggers are set up to work with online orders from Shopify, you'll need to manually create a segment for your offline customers. Here's how you can do it:

• Upload your list of offline customers who purchased custom printed products more than a year ago.
    • Create a custom property for these customers (e.g., "OfflinePurchase = True").
    • Use this property to build a segment specifically for these customers.
  2. Targeted Flow for Offline Customers: Once you have your segment created, you can set up a flow that targets only this segment. Here's the step-by-step process:

• Go to Flows and create a new flow.
    • Choose "Create from Scratch" and select "Segment Trigger."
    • Set the segment trigger to the custom segment you created for offline customers.
    • Ensure that your flow's emails are tailored to re-engage these specific customers.
  3. Exclude New Online Orders: To prevent new online orders from being added to this flow, ensure that the segment only includes the customers from your manually uploaded list with the custom property. This way, any new online orders won't meet the criteria to enter this flow.

4. Initiating Flow for Specific Segments/Lists: Since you will be using a manually created segment for your offline customers, the flow will automatically initiate for this specific group once you activate it.

5. List Cleaning Service: Klaviyo does offer some features for maintaining list hygiene, such as automatically suppressing emails that bounce repeatedly. However, for a more comprehensive list cleaning service similar to Omnisend's hard bounce removal, you might consider third-party services like ZeroBounce or NeverBounce. These can integrate with Klaviyo to ensure your email list is up-to-date and accurate.

Summary of Steps:

1. Upload your list of offline customers and create a custom property.
  2. Build a segment using this custom property.
  3. Create a flow with a segment trigger based on this custom segment.
  4. Verify email addresses using a third-party list cleaning service if needed.

I hope this helps you set up your WinBack flow effectively for your offline customers. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to reach out.

Badge +1

That is great, thank you for your assistance. Job done

Badge +6

Glad to hear that 

You are welcome 

You can reach out if you have any further assistance.

Wish you best of luck in your business 

Badge +1

I have completed steps 1-4, however after making the flow and each email Live it appears that no emails have been sent. 

I have 

1. Flow Trigger Based on Online Orders: manually create a segment for your offline customers.

2. Targeted Flow for Offline Customers: set up a flow that targets only this segment.

3. Excluded New Online Orders

4. Initiating Flow for Specific Segments/Lists: Since you will be using a manually created segment for your offline customers, the flow will automatically initiate for this specific group once you activate it. I have set the emails and flow to Live, I have checked the Trigger preview and it has members of the segment in the list. Do you know how I can start the first email in the flow being sent out to the segment?

Badge +6

Hello @tmz 

Thank you for providing the details of your setup. It sounds like you've done a thorough job with steps 1-4, but the emails aren't sending as expected. Let's troubleshoot and ensure everything is configured correctly to start the flow.

Steps to Ensure Flow Emails Are Sent:

1. Verify Segment Membership:

- Double-check that the segment you created contains the correct members. Navigate to the segment in Klaviyo and ensure the list of customers is as expected.

2. Check Flow Filters and Scheduling:

- Ensure there are no filters in your flow that might be excluding your segment members.

- Verify the scheduling settings for each email in the flow to ensure they are set to send immediately or according to your desired schedule.

3. Manually Trigger the Flow:

- If the flow is set to trigger based on segment membership, and the segment has members, but no emails have been sent, you may need to manually trigger the flow. To do this:

1. Navigate to your flow in Klaviyo.

2. Click on the trigger in the flow builder.

3. Select "Manually Add People" to add the segment members to the flow.

4. Confirm that the segment members have been added to the flow and that the first email is scheduled to send.

4. Ensure Flow is Live:

- Confirm that the entire flow and each individual email are set to "Live." Sometimes, emails might be in a draft or paused state even if the flow is live.

5. Review Flow Analytics:

- After initiating the flow, check the flow analytics to see if there are any errors or if emails are queued to be sent. This can provide insights into any issues that might be preventing emails from being dispatched.

Summary:

1. Verify segment membership and ensure correct members are included.

2. Check for any flow filters or scheduling issues.

3. Manually trigger the flow if needed.

4. Ensure the flow and all emails are set to "Live."

5. Review flow analytics for any errors.

6. Contact Klaviyo support if the issue persists.

I hope this helps to resolve the issue and get your emails sent out to your segment. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Badge +1

Thank you for your response. My flow is still not starting. I just need to get the flow started.

1. I have Verified Segment Membership:

2. Check Flow Filters and Scheduling: There are no filters and the first email is scheduled to send immediately

3. Manually Trigger the Flow: I have Updated all Action statuses to Manual and then back to live, the Flow is Live.

a. Navigate to your flow in Klaviyo. Done

b. Click on the trigger in the flow builder. Done

c. Select "Manually Add People" to add the segment members to the flow. I don’t have this option or any option to Add a person or Profle to this segment

d. Confirm that the segment members have been added to the flow and that the first email is scheduled to send. Segment members have been added under the Trigger, however the first email doesn’t send

4. Ensure Flow is Live: All 3 emails and the flow are set to live.

5. Review Flow Analytics: No emails sent & zero analytics results.

I found the below comment from Klaviyo on the Segment/ Edit Definition page and wondered if this has caused the no sent emails. However I created the Segment first, then the Trigger, so confused as to why it is not sending.

FAQs on updating segments

When I manually update a segment, will new added members get scheduled for flows triggered by the segment?

No. When a flow is triggered by a segment, only those that get added to the segment organically based on behavior and activity will automatically get scheduled for connected flows. When you create, edit or update a segment, new populated members will not get scheduled.