Skip to main content
Solved

Adding segment profiles to lists and vice versa

• 25 July 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi, 
I’m new to Klaviyo and getting my head around it.  Support have been fantastic, but I’m on a deadline to get this set up, so trying to figure things out whilst I wait for responses.

Long story short.  I have 3 different aspects of my business.  I want to email each aspect separately, and occasionally email everyone.

I have currently created 3 lists and a master list.  I have subscribe pages linked from social media to bring the people interested in certain topics to the relevant list.

The issue I have is that I also want those people in the master list - how do I do that?

and

I have a pop up on the website for people who find me that way.  It has radio buttons linked to properties, so if someone selected the radio butter saying for example, they are interested in ‘business content’ it would give them the property ‘business’.  I want this person to be added to the master and business email lists, but can’t find a way to do this.

Originally I had the radio button and properties set up with segments which worked, but then I couldn’t have the subscribe pages, so reverted to lists.

Can someone help me figure out how to have both? 

I hope that made sense.

Thanks in advance.

7 replies

Badge +6

Hi  JennaMcNa

Welcome to Klaviyo! It's great to hear that you're getting fantastic support from the team. I understand the urgency of your deadline, and I'm here to help you streamline your email list management.

To ensure that your subscribers are added to both their relevant topic list and the master list, you can use Klaviyo's powerful automation features. Here’s a step-by-step guide to achieve this:

1. Creating Your Lists and Master List

You’ve already done this, but just to recap:

• List 1: Business Content
  • List 2: Another Aspect
  • List 3: Another Aspect
  • Master List: All subscribers

2. Using Signup Forms

For your website popup with radio buttons:

1. Design the Signup Form: Ensure each radio button is linked to a specific property (e.g., Interest: Business).
  2. Add Hidden Fields: Include a hidden field in your form that subscribes everyone to the master list.

3. Creating Flows to Add Subscribers to the Master List

1. Navigate to Flows: Go to the Flows section in Klaviyo.
  2. Create a Flow for Each List: For each of your topic-specific lists (e.g., Business Content), set up a flow.
  3. Flow Trigger: The trigger will be when someone subscribes to a specific list.
  4. Add Action: Add an action to subscribe the person to the Master List.

Here’s how you can set up the flow:

• Trigger: Subscribes to List 1 (Business Content)
  • Action: Subscribe to List (Master List)

Repeat this process for your other lists.

4. Handling the Website Popup with Radio Buttons

For your website popup, since it uses properties:

1. Create Segments Based on Properties:
    • Create a segment for each interest (e.g., Property equals Business).
    • Create a segment for the Master List where subscribers meet any of your properties criteria.
  2. Add Segment Members to Lists: Use flows to add members of these segments to their respective lists.

Here’s a simplified version:

• Trigger: Joins segment where Property equals Business
  • Action: Subscribe to List (Business Content)

5. Testing Your Setup

• Test each signup form to ensure that subscribers are being added to both the relevant topic list and the master list.
  • Verify that the flows are working correctly by checking the list members after subscribing through different forms and popups.

By following these steps, you can effectively manage your email subscribers and ensure they receive content relevant to their interests while also being included in your master list.

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +59

Hi @JennaMcNa, welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing the context of why you have different Lists -  normally, I would have recommended what you initially done with one Master List, and then have different properties (via the Signup Forms) to segment them separately.  But it seems like you need different Subscribe pages (and Preference options) for each List to be different, so hence three separate List.

If you have the three Lists, and a Master List, and you need to occasionally send to everyone across all List - instead of figuring out a way of adding people form the three Lists into your Master List, I would instead build a “Master Segment” that combines people from all Lists (3 Lists + Master List).  On face, it may seem counter intuitive because you have a “Master List”, but this makes it more flexible on who you want to include (or exclude) in this Segment when you want to send Campaigns.  And, you don’t have to change anything you already are doing now for your time crunch.  

Hope this helps!

Badge +2

Hi  JennaMcNa

Welcome to Klaviyo! It's great to hear that you're getting fantastic support from the team. I understand the urgency of your deadline, and I'm here to help you streamline your email list management.

To ensure that your subscribers are added to both their relevant topic list and the master list, you can use Klaviyo's powerful automation features. Here’s a step-by-step guide to achieve this:

2. Using Signup Forms

1. Design the Signup Form: Ensure each radio button is linked to a specific property (e.g., Interest: Business).
  2. Add Hidden Fields: Include a hidden field in your form that subscribes everyone to the master list.

2. Create a Flow for Each List: For each of your topic-specific lists (e.g., Business Content), set up a flow.
  3. Flow Trigger: The trigger will be when someone subscribes to a specific list.

• Create a segment for the Master List where subscribers meet any of your properties criteria.
  2. Add Segment Members to Lists: Use flows to add members of these segments to their respective lists.

5. Testing Your Setup

• Test each signup form to ensure that subscribers are being added to both the relevant topic list and the master list.
  • Verify that the flows are working correctly by checking the list members after subscribing through different forms and popups.

By following these steps, you can effectively manage your email subscribers and ensure they receive content relevant to their interests while also being included in your master list.

I hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your reply.  I am working through it.  One question regarding 

1. Add Hidden Fields: Include a hidden field in your form that subscribes everyone to the master list.

I can find where to do this, but can’t see anything in the available drop downs to allow me to do this.

Also the flows to add subscribers to master list.  There is no action at the side to do this, is it done through properties explanation you gave?  So all the info you gave here is tied together to achieve the 4 lists?

I’ll be reading through and getting my head around the rest to see if it works the way I need.  Thanks so much.

Badge +2

Hi @JennaMcNa, welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing the context of why you have different Lists -  normally, I would have recommended what you initially done with one Master List, and then have different properties (via the Signup Forms) to segment them separately.  But it seems like you need different Subscribe pages (and Preference options) for each List to be different, so hence three separate List.

If you have the three Lists, and a Master List, and you need to occasionally send to everyone across all List - instead of figuring out a way of adding people form the three Lists into your Master List, I would instead build a “Master Segment” that combines people from all Lists (3 Lists + Master List).  On face, it may seem counter intuitive because you have a “Master List”, but this makes it more flexible on who you want to include (or exclude) in this Segment when you want to send Campaigns.  And, you don’t have to change anything you already are doing now for your time crunch.  

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this, I get what you are saying and it makes sense.  I’m going to look at the above info and yours and see which works best for what I need.  
Really appreciate the help!

Badge +2

Hi  JennaMcNa

2. Using Signup Forms

5. Testing Your Setup

I hope this helps!

I think my original reply go deleted.  Thanks so much for your reply.  I’m a bit lost, as the hidden fields don’t have the options you mention (is it done through properties?) and in the flows there is no action to do as you’ve suggested?  

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hope this helps!

Your response is spot on! 

Badge +2

Hope this helps!

Your response is spot on! 

I’ve been looking at all this over night and agree, this may be exactly the best way to do it for how I need it to work, thanks so much!