Solved

Best way to add a custom property showing what events members have attended?

• 23 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

We run events and want to send pre and post event emails to those in our database who are attending.

What is the best way to set up a custom property to show this?

Should we be creating an “Events” List property with each event attended listed? If so, when we add events down the track can we export an attendee list and import this into Klaviyo with the custom property of [“Event”] added and have that list value ADD to existing Events in the property or will it override?

E.g. Customer 1 has been to Event A and Event B. These are listed in their profile already.

They then attend Event C and we import a list of these Event C attendees to Klaviyo with [“Event C”] as the Events property.

Does Customer 1’s profile update the ‘Events’ custom property to list all 3 events, or are Event A and Event B removed in favour of only listing Event C ?

Is there a better way to do this list management?

Thanks in advance!

Edited to add: We’ve run one event since moving to Klaviyo and set up an entirely different list for them but would prefer not to have a separate list for every event we run. Hoping there’s a better solution (and assuming there will be!)

icon

Best answer by David To 23 August 2023, 21:37

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @dgfinstitute,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

Using custom profile properties would definitely be a viable method for this. I will keep in mind though, that doing so may require some additional manual work. I.E. exporting attendee list, adjusting the .CSV, and importing it back into Klaviyo. 

That’s because updating a custom profile property will override the existing property. In other words, If customer 1 has been to Event A and Event B, and now attended Event C, importing a .CSV will override the property value to only display Event C - omitting their attendance to Event A and Event B. 

In my opinion, a more seamless way to do this would be through the use of custom events. This would be similar to how booking apps such as Eventbrite works. Ideally, a custom event could be triggered whenever someone attended an event which you could then have an automated flow trigger off of. This method would be more seamless in the sense that there would only be a one time up front setup - the custom events and the flows. After that, things are for the most part, automated. 

This option also allows you to better track who has attended which event based on the events tracked in their timeline. I.E. Customer 1 has attended 3 events because they triggered 3 custom attendance event. 

I hope this helps!

David

Badge

In my opinion, a more seamless way to do this would be through the use of custom events. This would be similar to how booking apps such as Eventbrite works. Ideally, a custom event could be triggered whenever someone attended an event which you could then have an automated flow trigger off of. This method would be more seamless in the sense that there would only be a one time up front setup - the custom events and the flows. After that, things are for the most part, automated. 

This option also allows you to better track who has attended which event based on the events tracked in their timeline. I.E. Customer 1 has attended 3 events because they triggered 3 custom attendance event. 

Thanks David!
Does this integration show which event members have attended? I will look into it - appreciate the help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @dgfinstitute

While we don’t have insight into how other integrations keep their data, I’m sure this is a question you can ask the eventbrite support team! 

Hope this helps!

-Taylor