Feature Request: Segment Creation/Editing Screen Missing Features

• 13 July 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

After working with Segmentation for more than a year, I just noticed a few things that would definitely improve quality of life for segment creation/editing thus making life easier for Klaviyo users dealing with complex segments.

1. Autosave/Save function. I can’t stress this enough. When creating complex segments with multiple definitions and filters, the browser page tends to hang and might some times even crash. This also happens when loading a segment definition with a lot of stuff on it. It didn’t crash until now on me, but I can’t imagine what would happen if it did while I already added 10 definitions that each have 20 filters. Starting again would be very time consuming. An auto save function or even a save button (without creating the segment) would be very helpful.
  2. Ability to duplicate Definitions. Specific example would be creating a definition based on What someone does/doesn’t → Ordered a product after a date → then add 10+ products to the filters. Then I would want to add basically the same definition for when someone cancelled orders with the same 10+ products. Since there’s no duplicate feature, I would have to manually add all 10+ products again. I have segments where I need to do this at least 3 times, very time consuming.
  3. Ability to drag and drop Definitions. Trying to keep things organized. Lets say you need to create a segment with a lot of similar definitions and filters. You forget to add a specific definition when you’re almost done. You can always add that at the end, but that makes things unorganized, harder to spot. Every new definition, even if it’s similar to others needs to be added to the bottom and can’t be moved in the page.

I strongly believe that 1 & 2 would make segmentation way easier and safer. I do agree that the last items would be something nice to have.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @Catalin, thanks for bringing this feedback to the community, and welcome!

I’m pretty sure that your requests under #2-3 are coming very soon in a new update to the segment builder. @Taylor Tarpley or @David To might be able to confirm (:

And totally understandable why you’d want to have the ability to save your progress before you’ve completed building the segment! Maybe this is something that could be improved in future updates…

I will add one quick tip here just based on my own experience; sometimes I can get stuck when the logic of building a segment (or flow for that matter) is complex. It doesn’t always happen, but the more logic conditions there are, the more complicated it is, and the more likely it becomes that something could break or prevent your intended recipient from receiving the journey/ email you’re trying to create.

So it can be helpful to create a first draft idea, maybe on paper, then evaluate what you could simplify about the logic before you start building the segment… Sometimes flow filters, trigger filters on flows, or filters on individual emails is an excellent supplement to simpler logic of a segment definition.

Hopefully you find this helpful!

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Klaviyo Champion & Marketing Lead at ebusiness pros 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi Gabrielle,

Having a draft on paper is exactly what I’ve done… the first time. But now most of my segments are following the same template. The issue is the large amount of definitions and filters and the need for repetitive work. These are different for each segment while the path is somewhat the same.

Thank you for your input, it’s something that I do when creating new types of segments. 

It will be interesting to see if they actually implement a drag and drop feature for segments since the segments creation page starts lagging after you add 4-5 definitions with multiple filters.

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Sounds like you’re on the right track! I’ve also got my fingers crossed the segment builder improvements are released soon.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

It’s been almost 1 week since the last reply, is there something I need to do to get an official reply? Is this something that is better discussed over support chat?

The thing is that I had several chats with support on various topics, I also asked about some improvements using that communication channel, I was told I would be emailed if they would pick up feature request or not, but never got an email about a feature request.

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @Catalin, I completely understand your frustration. 

The Klaviyo Community team might be able to better help you get the confirmation you’re looking for.  @Taylor Tarpley @chloe.strange @stephen.trumble @David To 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @ebusiness pros,

Thanks for looping us in! 

@Catalin, really appreciate the feedback you’ve shared with us! I’ve definitely heard others share similar suggestions for our segment builder for the ability to duplicate definitions. I’ll be sure to add these new notes the existing request. 

I love your suggests on an auto-save and a drag-and-drop option for definitions. I’ll certainly been caught redoing my own segments just for the sake of organizational purposes. I’ll route these notes back to our product team for consideration. 

One thing that’s helped me when creating complex segments and/or creating different iterations of a segment for testing is to clone the existing segment. This way, I don’t have to go through the trouble of having to recreate the entire segment from scratch again and only need to make either the changes needed or remove definitions. 

Really appreciate the feedback you’ve shared and thanks for being a part of the Klaviyo Community!

David

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@ebusiness pros thanks for pitching in! Since I’m a new member of the community I really didn’t know who should I tag. I’ll try to be more active in the community so I can get a better grip of who’s who and what’s what.

@David To that sounds great. Yes, cloning a segment works as an initial step, but if you’re cloning a fairly complex segment, the issues I described in the main post of this thread still are a pain to deal with.

I appreciate reading the topic and sending any valuable info to the product team. If it isn’t too much of a hassle, can you please tell me if there are any lists and segments updates that are coming up and might improve even slightly the issues I described?

Is there a way to take a look at what’s coming up on Klaviyo related to lists and segments?

Thanks again to both of you for replying. Have a great weekend!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Catalin,

Glad to hear you’re excited to hear what our product team has coming down the pipeline!

Unfortunately there aren’t any product updates I can share related to list and segments. I would however, suggest checking out our product update page. In addition to posting product updates and announcements there, we also love sharing any new updates with all our users. This means you’ll be notified via email when we so have any exciting features or improvements we’ve made. 

David

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

@Catalin you’re quite welcome! I’m glad I was able to help.

Warmly,

Gabrielle