Solved

Help creating a segment

• 1 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I own a subscription box and I would like to set up a segment so all active subscription box customers will be in that segment, and when they cancel their subscription they will be removed.

I would like to have a dynamic list for this as part of my subscription box is virtual and needs to be emailed out to only those who are still customers. 

How do I set up the parameters for this? 

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Jessica eCommerce Badassery 2 February 2023, 00:42

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@Michelle T 

This will depend on what platform you’re using to process your subscriptions and how the data is sent over to Klaviyo. 

Some common examples with Shopify are 

• Customer tags - these will add an active or inactive tag
  • Metric event - ex. started subscription, renewed subscription, cancelled subscription etc. 
  • You can also use the ordered product, placed order, or fulfilled order metrics depending on how your products are set up in the back end

For example. Let’s say you have a monthly box and an annual box, each as their own products in Shopify. Your segment would read: 

• What someone has done or not done > ordered product > at least once > in the last 30 days 
    • Filter by monthly subscription product 

OR 

• What someone has done or not done > ordered product > at least once > in the last 365 days
    • Filter by annual subscription product

If your subscription system keeps the Shopify customer tags updated based on their status your segment would read:

• Properties about someone > shopify tags > contains > active_subscriber (whatever the tag in Shopify is) 

If you have metrics for started, renewed and cancelled subscription your segment would read:

• What someone has done or not done > started subscription > at least once > in the 30 days
    • filter by monthly product or variant

OR

• What someone has done or not done > renewed subscription > at least once > in the 30 days
    • filter by monthly product or variant

Repeat this for your annual

Hope that helps!

Badge +1

Thank you! I use Subbly for my backend. I have a bi-monthly subscription. I’m so lost.

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@Michelle T 

You need Subbly to be integrated with Klaviyo so Klaviyo knows who is and isn’t subscribed. Otherwise you’ll have to update your subscribers through csv before each email send. 

Doesn’t Subbly have their automated email solution built in? It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at their platform, but thought they focused on being an all in one. 

Badge +1

Thank you. I have integrated with them. I’m just really not understanding the computer logic of the segment and how to set it up. The instructions I found on Klaviyo for a subscription box segment doesn’t match up with what I see on my end when trying to make the segment. So it’s really confusing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@Michelle T What data does Subbly send to Klaviyo? Do they send anything similar to what I listed above for shopify?

Placed order, ordered subscription, does it add a profile property to the user?

Badge +1

Thanks so much for all your help. They send over only active subscribers to Klaviyo. No one time purchase people I guess. So good and bad for me. 

I was confused and thought a List wasn’t dynamic at all, but it looks like any active subscribers will be put into the list and fall out when they cancel. 

I have so many other questions now, and I found out I can email Klaviyo, so I did that. Hopefully they can help answer all of them.

Thank you for trying to help me. I really appreciate it!

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@Michelle T 

Ah, gotcha. Yea, that’s really limited data to work with.

Ultimately, your flexibility with Klaviyo is 100% based on what data Subbly sends to that platform.

Hopefully between Subbly and Klaviyo support you can figure out exactly what you’ll be able to do. You’re welcome!