List and segmentation discussion

• 24 May 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge +1
  • Contributor II
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone, 

You can call me Rex and I am new here learning email marketing. Is anybody interested to talk about list segmentations because I would love to

And also, we can talk about the most common criteria for list segmentations.

Cheers

Rex

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @Rex,

Welcome to the community! Segmentation is one of my favorite parts of email marketing.

Is there a specific type of segmenting that you’re especially curious to learn more about?

Warmly,

~ Gabrielle

Klaviyo Champion & Marketing Lead at ebusiness pros

Badge +1

Hi Gabrielle, 

I want to know about the most effective segmentation strategy which will eventually lead to more click. 

Can you tell about the segments that you create for every client/business you work with

~Rex

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @Rex,

I encourage you to examine this post and the comments below. Myself and other Klaviyo Champions, and Klaviyo team members are discussing our favorite types of segments there.

One of the comments also gives links to a recent Klaviyo workshop that identifies several useful segments to group people based on engagement, and you can focus on improving click rates using those types of segments.

That’s probably the best place for you to start.

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Badge +1

Thanks Gabrielle, for helping out I will surely examine the post 

Badge +1

Hey Gabrielle, 

Just one quick question 

What do you think “How practical are the tactics thought at Klaviyo Academy?”

And how many of them do you really apply as an email marketer.

Cheers

Rex

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Rex,

I’m a bit bias and I can’t speak for @ebusiness pros, but I can say that a lot of the tactics/strategies highlighted through the Klaviyo Academy courses are highly practical. 

That said, it’s also important to understand that not all strategies are universal. What works for one brand may not work for others based on their industry and marketing strategies. A good way to think of the strategies and best practices taught in the courses as a framework to work off of to align with your brand. 

I hope this helps!

David

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @Rex, I agree with what @David To shared.

Especially when you’re just starting with email marketing, the help docs and courses provided by Klaviyo give a valuable introduction into what kinds of segments you use in different contexts, and how that relates to flow logic, and how to build those segments and flows.

I would encourage you to not get tunnel vision when it comes to segmentation. Sending campaigns that are specific and relevant is important, yes. However, setting up flows to send emails that are in automatic response to an action someone takes, or an action they don’t take, is one of the most valuable things you can to do set up your email marketing foundation. One example of this is my own personal favorite system, which I call a “core 4” flows.

So this is how you’d start:

1. Abandoned Checkout flow
    (triggered by the Started Checkout event, recaptures people to complete their purchase)
  2. Welcome Series flow
    (triggered by Subscribes to List event, welcomes new subscribers and introduces them to your brand ethos and UVP)
  3. New Customer Thank You flow
    (this is where segmentation comes in; first-time customers might need education on how to get the most out of your product, where repeat customers most likely won’t need it)
  4. Repeat Customer Thank You flow
    (acknowledge someone’s loyalty if they’ve purchased at least 2 times) 

Then, once those are set up, and you’ve gotten into the rhythm of sending at least 1 campaign per month, I’d recommend you fill in gaps and expand your system of flows to further support your business.

Next round of flows might look like:

1. Abandoned Cart flow
    (triggered by the Added to Cart event, captures those who’ve not yet Started Checkout but still abandoned their shopping prior to purchasing)
  2. VIP Customer Thank You flow
    (acknowledge those who’ve purchased more than 2 times - this is a higher LTV customer, with stronger loyalty to your brand)

You also might add a Browse Abandonment flow, to remind people what they were shopping for even if they didn’t add items to their cart. Personally, I tend not to use this flow because most of my clients think that kind of obvious shopping observation is creepy, and they don’t want to make that impression on their own customers. But each brand is different, so this might be something you choose to implement.

Customer Winback and Cross-sell flows are also valuable.

Part of why I recommend splitting up “customer thank you” flows across 3 distinct categories of customers is because segmenting your customers, and your flow reporting, helps you get a better understanding of the rate at which people are re-purchasing, and how different types of customers are more/ less engaged with the emails you send them after they order.

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

@ebusiness pros,

If I could super like your in-depth breakdown I would! Always love hearing your insights!

David

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Thanks @David To - that means a lot! 🤗