Skip to main content
Solved

Segmenting best practices

• 10 July 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

I am after some advice / inspiration as to how to best segment both new customers via our sign up form and those on our existing database who are yet to make a purchase.

Up to now, we have very little in the way of segmentation other than the standard who is and isn’t engaged, and who has viewed what product or category, which can only get us so far, i want to take things to the next level. 

We sell products from 50+ sports teams, as well as just as many entertainment brands, so ideally, we want to know which teams and or brands the customers want to hear about, but working out the best way to do so is proving rather challenging given the vast number of options.

So any ideas on adding steps to the sign up, on how to extract the relevant info via email campaigns to our current list, or even working on identifying where the the customer came from (a big % of traffic is from shopping ads, so that should help identify the customers preferences, knowing the product or brand they were searching for). 

Appreciate any help. 

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi there,

I understand your desire to take your email segmentation to the next level. Segmentation is key to delivering relevant, personalized content that resonates with your subscribers and drives engagement.

Signup Form Segmentation

When it comes to your signup form, consider adding a card where new subscribers can select their favorite teams and brands from a list. This could be a simple checkbox list or a more interactive experience like a quiz or poll. You can use custom properties to ‘tag’ each answer.

Existing Database Segmentation

For your existing database, run a series of email campaigns to gather more information about their interests. Offer an incentive to encourage participation. Segment based on their past purchase behavior and engagement with your emails.

Leveraging Website Behavior and Shopify Collections

Analyze your website traffic and purchase data to create segments based on the products they view and purchase. Use Shopify collections to group products by team or brand, making it easier to target specific segments.

Tracking Landing Pages

1. Create a unique landing page for each product or brand you sell
  2. Use UTM parameters in the URL to track where the customer came from (e.g. utm_source=shopping_ad&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=brandx)
  3. When a customer lands on one of your product pages, capture the referrer URL and add it to their profile
  4. Use Klaviyo's built-in UTM tracking to automatically parse the UTM parameters and store them as properties

This is an onogoing process and I totally understand that the above are not easy fixes to the issue. Having 50+ teams and, I suppose, thousands of products, is a complex task. But once in place, you could feel confident that you’ve moved a step closer to more relevance and value for your subscribers.

Hope that helps,